Thursday, August 27, 2009

What a week!

Although this week has had it's challenges, I still look back and feel really good about it!

It started off with an Alzheimer's evaluation for my mom on Monday - 4 1/2 hours - with really wonderful, compassionate people. It was very pleasant considering how long it was. Thank goodness we had nuts for mom to munch on (she's diabetic). She held up really well.

After receiving a prescription for Alzheimer's medication, we made the long trek to another building (it's long when Mom walks very slowly) to the pharmacy, waited in line to put in the prescription, waited a half hour until her name was called, waited again in the line to pick up the prescriptions, only to be told when we got to the window that the medication was not available and had to be ordered - we would have to come back tomorrow to pick it up. OK no big onward...

Back to the other building where the physical therapy department is to pick up the cane they have prescribed for Mom since her gait is not so steady and she gave the new cane she already had to a friend who is having hip problems...sometimes Mom is generous to a fault and to the detriment of her own well-being. So it's late in the day and we are walk-ins - they announce that someone needs assistance with a cane. No one comes up. Another 10 minutes, the nice lady behind the desk announces once again we are there needing help, then she has to leave for the day. We wait another 10 minutes just in case anyone decides to come out and help us but our hunger and weariness from a long day get the better of us and we make the long trek (again...slow walking) back to the car and head over to Marie Callendar's for a meal at 6:30pm. Of course, we both deserve a piece of pie as a reward for the very long day we have just had - thank goodness MC has sugar-free pies for Mom!

Whew - that was only Monday!

Tuesday I had lunch with my best friend and world traveler, Marlene. She just returned from seven weeks touring Italy and Spain, then took off on a ten day road trip to Portland. So we finally have time to catch up and have some girl talk. She came with me to keep me company on my trip back to the pharmacy to get Mom's new medication, which I had Mom take immediately when we got home - I want to see the effects of this new drug ASAP - hopefully she will have some memory improvement. However, one of the side effects can be nausea if not taken with food, so I gave her a snack and it seemed to be fine. Until...

Wednesday at 3:30am...Mom is calling to me because she is terribly ill - cold sweats, dizzy, vomiting, other stuff I won't mention...I am up with her until about 5:30 when she finally goes to sleep. She had eaten a 3 day old chicken sandwich for dinner the night before so along with the new medication, it was not good. She was so sick all day - couldn't keep anything down, feeling like she was going to die (which is scary for an 81-year-old, and her daughter...) I had clients in the afternoon but I rushed home to take care of her and skipped my mid-weekly church service last night. And thank God, she is finally feeling better today - very weak and 3 pounds lighter to her delight, but much better - whew!

I'm still watching over her today while I do laundry and run to the market to get some food to soothe her tender tummy but so relieved that she is finally on the road to recovery.

Can't wait until tomorrow - I love Fridays! As long as Mom is feeling good enough to be on her own then I'll have a weekend of quality time with my husband. Life is good!

Wishing you all health, wealth and a happy weekend!
Living Peacefully in a Big City: A Guide to Maintaining Your Sanity, Health and Happiness now available at!

No comments:

Post a Comment